Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, September 10, 2009

    Eggplant Sandwich - A Take on Eggplant Parmigiano

    My husband, many years ago, decided to give up meat. This worked well for him but really was a pain for me. For instance he wouldn't even eat chicken.
    He does love fish but I felt he really wasn't getting enough iron (always tired and frequently grumpy) so I re-introduced meat at once a week into his diet.

    I have to stay we did notice a difference.
    I do cook a lot of meatless meals but I do love variety
    So last night for him... I did a true vego meal.
    I made sandwiches of Eggplant breaded with Panko crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
    It was delicious so I must share it.

    Pre-heat the oven to 180C

    1 eggplant, sliced into 1 cm slices
    3 tablespoons of flour, seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 egg, mixed with a tablespoon of milk.
    1 teaspoon Tabasco
    1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
    30 gms grated Parmesan Cheese

    1 cup tomato sauce (use your favourite I had some in the freezer)
    Olive oil

    Garnish
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Balsamic vinegar
    Basil Leaves

    Add Tabasco sauce to the egg mix
    Blend breadcrumbs with the Parmesan cheese

    Take the slices of eggplant, dip them in the seasoned flour
    Then dip the slices into the egg mix
    Then into the cheesy breadcrumbs

    Into hot pan add olive oil
    Fry slices, you will have to do them in batches, don't overcrowd the pan
    When golden brown remove and place half of them in a gratin dish
    Spoon over tomato sauce
    Top with another slice

    Add more tomato sauce and them sprinkle remaining crumbs on top.
    Drizzle with some more Olive oil and pop into oven
    Bake for 30 minutes or until eggplant is tender
    Plate and serve with some more olive oil mixed with balsamic
    A piece of basil on top
    A delicious meal.

    1 comment:

    Joanne said...

    I made eggplant parm sandwiches like this not so long ago as well! A great way to celebrate the eggplant season that also makes for a tasty veg meal.