Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, May 22, 2013

    Eccles Cakes - When It's Wet and Miserable - Bake I Say

    The weather was crap yesterday and I felt like something sweet for afternoon tea.Something quick and easy

    So I got out one of my very old recipe books and Eccles Cakes caught my eye. Good oh, I have all the ingredients. So I whipped up a batch. 

     The recipe, I found was rather slack I felt, a bit lacking in ingredients and method, funny how they just expected everyone to know what to do. Aunt Daisy was like that as well. I guess all cooks did know what to do in the olden days

    So I Googled it

    I found the recipe from About.com British Food and have just copied it exactly, I think I may have made my discs just a little small but...they were great. Lovely taste. I ate 2 with my cup of tea. Even ate a couple more when we returned home from Quiz Night. I have some of the fruit mixture leftover. Storing in the fridge and will make some more later. A success I feel


    Ingredients:
    1lb 2oz/ 500g puff pastry
    1oz/ 25g butter, melted
    Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
    2 oz/55g candied peel
    4 oz/ 110g sugar
    8 oz/ 225g currants


    Preparation:
    Pre-heat oven to 425∞/220∞C/Gas 7
     In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and butter and cook over a medium heat until melted.
     Off the heat, add currants, candied peel and nutmeg.
     On a lightly-floured surface, roll the pastry thinly and cut into rounds of about ยบ inch/0.5cm thickness and 4 inch/10cm diameter.
    Place a small spoonful of filling onto center of each pastry circle.


    Dampen the edges of the pastry with a little cold water and draw the edges together over the fruit and pinch to seal.


    Turn the patty over, then press gently with a rolling pin to flatten the cakes.
    Snip a V in the top with scissors.
    Place on a greased baking tray. I like to use baking paper


    Brush with eggwash and sprinkle with a little extra sugar.

    Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned round the edges.
    Place on a wire rack and allow to cool.
    Try not to eat them all at once!

    No comments: