Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, August 21, 2015

    Red Soup - For The Want of a Better Name



    This delicious soup came about by chance, as many great dishes are evolved
    It was a bleak day, I was bored, spent the afternoon catching up on some food programmes that I had recorded…Too early for a wine
    My oven wasn't working, so it was all stove top cooking in our house
    I had some chicken stock left over and thought I should turn it into soup
    So into the vegetable bin I dove.
    I found  a Red pepper, Red onion. Beetroot. Red chili
    Let's put them together
    What a fabulous colourful soup that would make, and it did
    So good I have made for guests and it got the thumbs up
    By the way I did a little cheating the other day and bought cooked  fresh beetroot from the
    supermarket. It is more expensive but saved me time.
    If you use concentrated chicken stock, dissolve it in the stock produced, by boiling the beetroot

    Ingredients
    For 4 People
    2 tablespoons Olive oil
    2 Red Peppers
    2 Medium Beetroot, roasted or boiled for about an hour, peeled and chopped
    1 Red Onion, chopped
    1 Red Chili, chopped
    4 cups Chicken stock
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar

    Optional -  slosh of hot pepper sauce 
    Sour cream and dill for garnish
    Method
    So I cooked the beetroot till tender, that can take about an hour
    If boil, don't waste the stock, save it for cooing the soup
    You can either roast or boil
    Peel and chop

    Meanwhile chop the red onion
    The red pepper and the chili

    Sauté the vege in the olive oil
    Season with salt and pepper

    Cover with Chicken stock
    Bring to boil and simmer about 20 minutes
    Add vinegar and hot sauce (optional but I like the kick it gives)

    Into the blender.
    Taste and adjust if needed

    Mix dill with the Creme Fraiche
    and dob it on top
    This is wonderful
    Not only looking fabulous but tasting fabulous as well
    A keeper


    No comments: