Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, November 30, 2015

    An Excellent Chocolate Cake


    Always looking for a recipe to feed several people. Namely The Staff at St Andrews
    I found this on a previous post 
    I got this recipe from my daughter Katie
    She found it in a Cook book called The Cake Bible
    It is very moist and delicious.
    At this time, I just served it as it, but I think it lends itself to being cut in half and filled with say some whipped cream, or you could do a layer of the icing
    That also would be good

    My friend Catherine gave me this great hint.
    Warm your sugar before creaming. It makes life so much easier.
    Try it…it works
    So you need

    Also as an addition, I added a cup of Craisins
    I love their citrusy bite

    125 gms softened butter
    2/3 cup sugar warmed
    ½ cup icing sugar
    2 eggs room temperature

    1 ¼ cup SR flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    ½ cup cocoa
    Pinch salt

    1 cup Craisins

    1 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla


    Heat oven 180C
    Grease and flour your tin.
    I like to line the bottom with a circle of baking paper.


    Cream butter and sugars
    Add eggs one at a time
    Beat well

    Sift dry ingredients
    Add Craisins to the dry ingredients
    Mix milk and vanilla

    Add dry ingredients milk mix alternately


    Bake 40-50 minutes check after 35 minutes cake is ready when a skewer comes out clean
    I found it took 40 minutes in my oven
    Let cake sit on a rack for 10 minutes in the tin then turn out and cool.
    It’s important that the cake is cold before you iced.

    I was going to make a Ganache icing but I didn't have any cream, so I searched the net for
    an icing made with Chocolate Chips and Icing Sugar
    I found this one on Food Network.com and it worked
    Doesn't have the fabulous dark colour of a Ganache but tasted good
    This is Courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis

    Ingredients

    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
    3 cups icing sugar
    1/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

    Directions

    In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer, 
    beat the butter until light and smooth. 
    Beat in the icing sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth and creamy.

    Place the chocolate chips in a small bowl and place over a small pan of barely simmering water. 
    Heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. 
    Remove the pan from the heat. 
    Add the melted chocolate to the vanilla frosting and stir until smooth.
    Ice your cake
    When I originally made this cake I frosted it with a raspberry frosting and filled it with berries 
    It looked beautiful, so if you would like to see that
    Click here

    I see there is an interesting Savoury Tea cake on that same post. Nice to serve with drinks



    No comments: