Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, November 22, 2015

    Warm Goats Cheese with Sherried Figs and Onions

    I posted this recipe in 2007. I was on nibbles for dinner with the family the other night.
    I knew somewhere, I had a warm goats cheese recipe, and I also remember it being very popular.
    Below is the original recipe, as usual, I didn't have all the ingredients, no time to go to the shop...
    so I made do.

    So instead of Figs, Sherry, and Rosemary, I used, Craisins with Rum, Mint and Basil
    Also, you don't have to go to the expense of Soft Goats Cheese,
    I had some Goats Feta in the fridge, it was perfect
    What a find

    Perfect for these parties coming up

    Warm Goats Cheese with Sherried Figs and Onions

    300 gms soft goats cheese.


    2 onions sliced finely
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    4 cloves garlic chopped
    2 sprigs rosemary
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

    10 dried figs sliced
    50 mls water
    ¼ cup Sherry


    For the alternative
    1 250 gm pkt Goats Feta

    2 onions sliced finely
    4 cloves Garlic finely chopped
    2 tbs each of chopped mint and basil
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper 

    1/2 cup craisins
    50 mls water
    1/4 cup Rum
     
    Method is the same for both flavours

    First place fruit in saucepan add water and booze
    Bring to simmer turn heat off and leave to steep.
    This will plump up the fruit.

    Meanwhile sauté onions and garlic in extra virgin olive oil with herbes
    Season with salt & pepper
    Till soft and translucent
    Mix in fruit, which will probably have soaked up all of the liquid


    Break up goats cheese into gratin dish
    Pour over onions and fruit mixture
    Into 170C oven for 20minutes

    Serve with slices of fresh baguette or maybe even croutons.


    I took this picture before the cheese was completely covered with the fig onion mix so that the method is shown

    No comments: