Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, May 08, 2016

    A Delightful Savoury Scone "Bread "Pudding - Waste Not Want Not


    I find it really hard to throw food away. If I can I will try and do something, anything, not to waste food. A few days ago, we had to take a road trip. Time to say Goodbye to a dear friend.
    Friends for 55 years, a big loss

    It was a lunch time 2 1/2 hour drive
    Of course one of the beauties of funerals is frequently the food, so I knew that we would be getting
    some tasty delights, but we needed some food in our bellies

    So I made some very tasty cheese scones

    This is my go-to recipe for scones...you can whip this up, from Whoa to Go in 30 minutes
    The recipe will be at the end of this blog, or you can have
    a look at my original post  Just click Here

    When my husband and I camped around Europe in the 60's
    Very posed shot below, of the car and tent. Our home for 3 months.
    My husband, once we got on the road, was loathe to stop for anything except petrol
    So I became very adept at making sandwiches en route
    This time the driver was our son, but I felt the need to carry on the tradition
    Prepare the food whilst we drove
    A quick selfie, proof of the trip

    As it turns out we only got to eat 3 of the 8 scones.
    Dilemma
    Do I turf them out ...or do I make something with them
    Of course I chose the latter
    Hence, this beautiful Savoury Scone Pudding
    So so simple

    Ingredients
    5 Scones split and buttered
    4 cups milk
    3 eggs
    Sea salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
    Parmesan Cheese, finely grated 

    Method
    Break up the scones into cubes
    Beat the eggs and milk together
    Season
    Butter an ovenproof Gratin dish
    Pour the custard over the scones 
    and let them sit for about 30 minutes to absorb the custard
    Grate Parmesan Cheese over the top
    Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 160C

    Place in the middle of the oven and cook for about 1 hour
    Remove and serve
    I served it last night with a mushroom sauce and a rocket salad

    But even better.
    Leftovers at lunch today
    Reheat, sprinkle with some chopped chives and serve with a tasty chutney of your choice
    Yum

    Savoury Cheese Scones
    This recipe makes 4 scones. I like to make the dough fairly wet.
    Like bread, scones really don't their dough being too dry.

    Heat oven to 220C

    While the oven is heating up
    Sift together into a bowl
    1 cup plain flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    Good pinch salt
    Add 1/2 tablespoon sugar
    1 cup grated tasty cheese
    1/2 red capsicum finely chopped
    1 spring onion finely chopped
    Grind black pepper

    1/2 cup milk

    With your fingers mix all of the dry ingredients together
    Add milk

    Mix with a knife till just blended
    If the mixture is too dry add a little more milk
    This should be the right amount (depends on the weather, flour etc)

    Turn out onto a board and knead two or three times,
    just to make sure they are well blended

    Pat with floured hands onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper
    Cut into 4 pieces

    Bake in pre-heated oven for 8 minutes
    turn the tray around and bake for about 3 more minutes
    We had them with Egg Mayonnaise, topped with some fresh tomato





    No comments: