Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, February 27, 2017

    Dress up The Sausage - Some Apple and Some Wine

    Sausages, cooked in the same pan as apple halves, throw in some wine to make a sauce
    Of course, serve with mashed potato and yes...peas

    Simple as.
    Nice idea this and it was wolfed down by both my guest and I
    Found the idea on Epicurious attributed to Alison Roman from Bob Appetit
    Of course as one usually does…I changed it to suit what was in the fridge
    Alison suggested to serve with Watercress
    Very pretty but not as good as Mashed Potatoes and Peas, in my book
    (Also I didn't have any watercress !)
    I used Angus Beef Breakfast Sausages which as it turns out were Gluten Free
    So another Gluten Free Meal for those interested


    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 sweet apple per person, halved through stem ends
    400 gms sausages
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    Sea salt, freshly ground pepper

    Frozen Peas Thawed
    Mashed potatoes


    Preparation 
    Heat oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
    Add apples, cut side down, and cook, turning occasionally,
    until golden brown, 5–8 minutes.
           
    Prick sausages with a fork, add to skillet with apples, and cook,
    turning occasionally, until browned, 10–12 minutes.
    Add wine and vinegar to skillet.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened (liquid should coat a spoon),
    about 4 minutes.
    Add thawed Peas and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper to taste
    Serve over mashed potatoes…with pan juices spooned over.
    Looking a little amateurish but very tasty
    Since I originally posted this recipe which has been very popular, I have cooked it again, this time I added red cabbage to the vege.
    Just saute some red cabbage in a little butter and add to the pan
    The cabbage added fabulous colour
     There were leftovers, so I turned it into a Frittata
    Another view, Look at that filling
    Vege, Sausages, apple and eggs, just as simple as that


    No comments: