Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, March 25, 2007

    The Fruits of My Labour

    Late Summer - Early Autumn
    The best time of the year for tomatoes.
    I made my pilgrimage out west to get the best outdoor tomatoes around.

    First I made the famous Grandma’s Tomato Sauce. Courtesy of my friend Anne’s local pharmacist who supplies me with the formula…which makes it so special.

    Unfortunately it is a secret recipe but do have a look I am very proud.

    Meanwhile there still quite a few kilos of tomatoes left so I called on Mrs Elizabeth David for her wonderful Cream of Tomato and Potato Soup.

    Very simple and so beautiful.
    You can taste the butter potato and tomato quite separately.

    So

    The white part of 2 leeks finely sliced
    15 gms of butter
    250 gms of tomatoes chopped
    300 gms of potatoes peeled and diced
    Sea salt
    Sugar 2 cubes
    Ground white pepper
    1 litre water


    Garnish
    100 mls cream
    Parsley or Chervil finely chopped


    Just melt the butter and add leeks before it bubbles
    The idea is soften without browning the butter or the leeks
    Add the tomatoes, let them cook till they start to give out their juice
    Add the potatoes
    Salt, sugar and white pepper
    Cover with the water and bring to the boil
    Simmer about 25 minutes till potatoes tender.

    Put through a food mill
    Return the puree to the rinsed out pot and add cream
    (She advises that in warm weather you scald the cream
    It may curdle with the acid of the tomatoes.

    Test seasoning and add more salt if necessary .

    Serve with a sprinkling of parsley or chervil and a grind of freshly ground black pepper

    I also garnished with some grated parmesan cheese.
    This is a French Dish and it was OK but…not brilliant

    No comments: