Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, April 25, 2007

    A Taste of Yellow

    Curried Parsnip and Apple Soup

    Barbara from winoandfoodies (see link) is hosting a blog event A Taste of Yellow to celebrate Livestrong Day which is a day put aside in the US for Cancer Awareness.

    Delia Smith on her programme mentioned that Curried Parsnip and Apple would make a great soup So I decided to create this soup for Barbara’s event.
    These amounts are just for 2 people. (It is all I had on hand.)
    I used a commercial mild curry powder with some added turmeric to boost the yellow.
    Don’t over spice with the curry powder you will miss all the little accents of the parsnip and the apple.

    "White food"




    1 heaped tablespoons butter
    1 onion peeled and chopped
    1 clove garlic peeled and crushed

    2 level teaspoons mild curry powder
    1 heaped teaspoon turmeric
    Sea salt

    2 medium parsnips peeled and chopped
    ½ a large apple peeled and chopped
    1 small potato peeled and chopped

    3 cups chicken soup

    Heat butter
    Gently sauté onion till soft and add garlic
    Add spices and salt to toast
    The add other vege
    Stir again

    "White food turning yellow"


    Add chicken stock, bring to boil and simmer about 15 minutes till vege tender.

    Pop into the blender and voila here it is "Yellow Food"
    I haven’t added any garnishes I’m keeping it yellow but I think a little chopped parsley would work.


    And what do we serve it with?
    Keeping with the yellow theme how about a toasted cheese sandwich?
    A nice melty cheese. Loverly...
    A great snack as well


    6 comments:

    Barbara said...

    Gilly what a perfect yellow soup. Tumeric is one of the recommended foods for helping fight cancer. Thank you for joining in A Taste of Yellow.

    So So Simple said...

    A pleasure Barbara. It's a good thing you are doing.

    Lisa Johnson said...

    What a creative way to get yellow! I'm trying to think up a dish for the event too.

    So So Simple said...

    anali
    have you thought of something yet

    Kristin said...

    wow,
    this looks beautiful! I am always interested in ways to cook parsnip, because I love it and my husband isn't a fan. Maybe this will work...

    So So Simple said...

    kazari lu I'll think you'll like it I made another parsnip based soup yesterday and will post it later today. we really enjoyed it.