Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, May 19, 2007

    Pineapple is the Hero

    I know the tulips have nothing to do with pineapple and soup, but they looked so pretty I just had to take a quick shot.


    I really loved Barbara’s idea of yellow for food for Livestrong Day...148 entries received, isn't that amazing.
    I was pleased with my Curried Parsnip and Apple Soup and wondered how pineapple would react with the curry and winter vege combo. Well I am happy to report it is great.

    Pineapple of course responds well to curry and it worked here as well.
    As you can see very simple ingredients

    1 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 red onion
    2 med parsnips
    1 large carrot
    1/8 of a pineapple (half of what is pictured)
    ½ a butternut marrow

    1 litre Chicken Stock
    2 heaped teaspoons curry powder (I used mild)
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

    Green onions for garnish
    Good extra virgin olive oil for that little extra zing to finish.

    Peel and roughly chop all vege and pineapple.

    Add butter and oil to saucepan and heat
    Add onions first to soften then all the other vege and pineapple.
    Stir well
    Add curry powder and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

    Add stock and a little extra water if needed to cover the vege

    Bring to boil and simmer for about 45 minutes. Check the seasoning and add more if needed
    Cool a little and blend till smooth

    Serve with a garnish of finely chopped green onions and just a little drizzle of olive oil.
    These soups really improve if made earlier in the day or even the day before.

    Asha from foodieshope http://foodieshope.blogspot.com/
    has a recipe for Olive Rye Bread. Look it up...it's worth it.
    It looked delicious I made it today and it would make a wonderful accompaniment for this lovely soup. I used a light rye flour.


    It was excellent with mozzarella, tomato and basil. Just popped under the grill for a few moments to melt the cheese.


    I'm sure it will be great for lunch tomorrow.