Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, April 18, 2009

    Easy Food and Saturday Night at the Movies.

    Sometimes at the end of the week, cooking dinner is a bit of a drag.
    Especially if you have been out to lunch, as we were on Friday.
    A little tasty Indian was partaken along with a few wines.
    Even if I have eaten a large lunch, I still get hungry later, and here is a simple dish,
    which fills the gap. It ticks all my boxes for ease, taste and satisfaction.

    Baked Potato with a Poached Egg on Top.




















    First 1 potato per person

    Olive oil
    Sea salt

    Grated cheese and
    1 tablespoon of finely chopped spring onion

    1 poached egg per person

    Heat oven to 180C

    Wash potato, prick and rub with some olive oil and sea salt

    It should take about 1 hour

    Remove from oven and cut top off.
    Meanwhile poach the egg.

    Score potato flesh with a knife
    Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper
    Add grated cheese and spring onion
    Back into oven for as long as it takes the egg to cook.

    Remove potato
    Drain egg and place on top.
    A good grind of pepper and a little more sea salt and
    Voila! Dinner
    P.S. Of course My husband has to put ketchup on his.
    But there ya go.

    So on Saturday evening, I had the same lethargy (re cooking a major meal.)

    Let’s watch DVDs and something simple to eat
    I went to the supermarket with the intention of buying ingredients for a salad dinner.
    At the store, a demonstrator was cooking up some little seafood dumplings.















    Of course I had a sample.
    They were very tasty, I had another sample.
    I bought a packet.

    Very easy to cook
    2 tablespoon oil and 1/2 cup water into a hot pan
    Add dumplings cover and cook over high heat
    When the liquid has dissolved just cook them till they turn golden brown.


















    When we were in Sydney we came across this fabulous dressing at
    the Oyster Bar in David Jones.
    Created by Tetsuya, possibly Australia’s most famous Chef.
    We loved it.
    My daughter-in-law Helen found the recipe and made some for me.
    It is excellent on oysters but I couldn’t see why it wouldn’t be good on this dish.

    Tetsuya's Rice Wine Vinaigrette – for Oysters
    1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
    4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon superfine sugar
    1 teaspoon soya sauce
    6 tablespoons grape seed oil
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 tablespoon lemon juice

    So I made a salad of Baby Cos lettuce, cherry tomatoes and papaya


















    Topped with the hot dumplings and dressed with Tetsuya’s Dressing

















    Delicious. Highly recommended for convenience food.

    We sat in front of the TV, with this little delight, and some chilled Sauvignon Blanc,
    watching Daniel Craig in “Quantum Of Solace’
    That was so full of action, we were exhausted.

    Then Richard Gere and Diane Lane in “Road to Rodanthe”
    My husband lasted about 10 minutes.
    Of course I love Richard Gere so just watching him is a real treat.
    But I don’t really get Nicholas Sparks, his stories are really soppy but…It should have had me sobbing...it didn’t and I can cry at the drop of a hat. So it was OK but not brilliant.

    Back to movies TCM had “Fame” on last night. I recorded it on My Sky.
    Have had a sneaky look this afternoon.
    One of my favourite movies. I love the energy. The scene with them all dancing in the street singing the title song “Fame” still wears well.
    Could be a good one for granddaughter Sophia to come over and watch.
    After all she loved The Sound Of Music and Grease.
    Why not Fame?

    No comments: