Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, June 18, 2011

    Gilli's Chilli Soup

    I got an idea from my Friend Rex, who was telling me about a great Chilli Bean Soup he has been making. He is going to give me the recipe.
    Meanwhile I decided, I would borrow this idea and make up a soup from my Pantry and Fridge
    I had some Leftover Meat sauce and a tin of Black Beans,
    I can make Chilli soup from this.
    It was really good.
    When you are eating chili and you need to blow your nose, there is a nice after burn… but the food is not searingly hot I think you have the spice mix, just right.
    If you go across to Gillis Net Diary I have calculated the calories. Filling, healthy and Lo-Cal
    So here we go
    1 tablespoon Olive oil
    1 Med Onion finely chopped
    Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper 

    2 cloves Garlic finely chopped
    1 med Carrot chopped into cubes
    1 stalk Celery chopped

    180 Meat sauce
    700 Water
    1 can Cherry Tomatoes.
    1 can Black beans drained and rinsed
    1 tablespoon Sugar


    1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon Celery salt
    1/2 teaspoon Cumin
    1 tablespoon Oregano
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley

    Heat the olive oil in a pot
    Add onions
    Season with Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper and sauté till tender
    Add garlic continue to cook another 3-4 minutes
    Add carrots, celery and Black beans
    Season with the spices
    Chili Powder. Celery salt. Cumin and Oregano

    Gently cook about 5 minutes to cook out the raw taste of the spices.
     Meanwhile put the leftover Meat Sauce in a blender with the water
    Whiz
    Add to pot
    Place the tomatoes in the blender, just a quick whiz just to break it down
    Into the pot
    Add sugar
    Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 – 40 minutes
    You need the carrots to be tender
    Taste and adjust the seasoning it will probably need a little more salt

    Just before you serve Add lime juice and Parsley
    So nice for a cold Winter's Day

    No comments: