Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, February 20, 2010

    First Ever So So Simple Post

    Anniversary Day...

    Would you believe I posted my very first recipe 4 years ago today.
    Only had my trusty little phone to record this event.
    So here we go again' My first "re-post"
    And guess what, The beginning of my obsession with Fritters.
    Also who better to inspire me but Mr Rick Stein.
    Thanks to JT and John. He will have the pleasure of entertaining Thelma and Louise...JT and me, on March 10th and 11th in Sydney.
    Bring it on!



    Here is my first recipe.
    Rick Stein originally made these fritters using courgettes but I thought the addition of the other veges looked good and they taste superb. Children love them. Long as you don't mention what's in them.

    ½ carrot peeled and grated
    1 corn cob shucked and kernels sliced off
    1 courgette grated
    1 spring onion finely chopped
    1 med chili (optional) de-seeded and finely chopped
    ½ cup plain flour
    1 tsp baking powder sifted with the flour
    Yoghurt big dollop
    2 eggs beaten
    S&P sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Oil for frying

    Mix all the vege with the flour and baking powder, making sure they are all well coated then add the eggs and yoghurt season with S & P This makes quite a thick mixture but great fritters.
    Heat the oil in non stick frying pan add 2 tablespoons of mix and cook the fritters in batches till golden brown and cooked right thru about 4-5 mins each side depending on the size.
    Drain on paper towels sprinkle with a little extra S & P and serve.
    I personally like to eat them just like that, but feel free to have any of your favourite dipping sauces.

    Try this combo for a change

    2 med courgettes grated
    ½ stick celery fine chop
    ½ onion fine chop
    8 cherry tomatoes squashed and ripped into pieces (real fun to do)
    8 mint leaves finely chop
    Handful basil finely chop
    ½ cup flour sifted with Baking Powder
    1tsp baking powder
    S & P

    Method same as above.
    Great combo also fantastic cooked as little fritters to serve with drinks

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Hello Mrs So So Simple

    Love your blog - great pictures, especially the one with the David Baldacci and plastic wine glass :)

    Keep it up

    Anonymous said...

    Fantastic site, love the way you describe the dishes, pics are great, I always wondered what the phone was really for. And as I'm one of the recipients of your fab food, I know what you have here is just right. Send your site to some of my friends so will be forwarding the fan mail, xx Diana J