Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, July 09, 2008

    Spicy Fish Pasta Bake Along with Green Pea and Ham Soup


    Spicy Fish Pasta Bake
    It’s quite chilly here at the moment...Of course it is winter you know.
    So I am working through the fridge, freezer and pantry.
    in order that I don’t have to go out to the shops.
    It was quiche last night and the night before was a very tasty pasta bake which I must share.

    I had made a delicious vege soup containing parsnips, swede leeks and onions bolstered with a little curry and chicken stock.
    After one meal of this soup I added some pumpkin stock, a carrot and an onion.
    Let’s take it further and turn it into a pasta dish.
    The result was great. And this makes a great entry for Ruth's of Once Upon a Feast Presto Party (whoops) Pasta Nights.
    Katie from Thyme for Cooking
    is the host this week have a look at her blog. She lives in France and her stories of her life makes great reading.
    You can use any homemade vege soup for the base and any fresh fish
    but the hero in this dish is Piri piri breadcrumb topping.

    I really like this Masterfoods Piri piri seasoning. Piri piri is of Portuguese derivation and this seasoning has some heat along with lemon and garlic flavour.
    It delivers quite a punch so use at your discretion. I like it hot.

    You will need
    100 gms pasta per person
    100 gms white fish per person in 2 cm chunks
    2-3 cups of vege soup
    ½ cup breadcrumbs
    ½ cup grated cheese
    1 teaspoon piri piri seasoning


    Cook the pasta till al dente.
    It will continue to cook in the oven so don't overdo it.
    Heat the soup and add the fish
    Add the pasta to this mixture and pour into gratin dish
    Mix breadcrumbs, cheese and piri piri together
    Sprinkle over the pasta
    Bake 180C about 30 minutes.

    It was good that night but even better when reheated the next day.
    Green Pea and Ham Soup

    I had a ham hock and was about to make pea and ham soup with split peas.
    Our supermarket has no lentils or split peas of any colour at the moment...
    Very boring
    I though I had better cook up the hock into some stock at least and boiled it up with lots of root vege.
    Then I thought “how about some frozen green pea soup?”
    But I didn’t have very many peas in the freezer so I improvised again
    Courgettes.

    So I sautéed in
    1 tablespoon butter in a pot
    1 onion chopped finely till soft but not coloured
    Add 1 grated courgette
    1 cup peas


    Little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Add 2 cups ham stock

    Simmer for about 10 minutes
    Blend
    Put through a sieve to remove pea skins (optional)
    Check the seasoning adjust if necessary

    Just enough for 2 people for a quick lunch
    The courgettes were a great addition...helps to bulk up the soup.

    1 comment:

    Katie Zeller said...

    That looks gorgeous! And all the flavor from that wonderful soup in the pasta dish.... Makes me look forward to winter (almost)!