Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, February 04, 2013

    A New Take on Eggs and Chips -Using The Fridge and The Pantry



    I love Eggs and Chips.
    When we lived in UK in the 60's, every respectable little Caffe and even those not so respectable, served Eggs and Chips
    Every so often, I would treat myself and go to the Caffe under the railway bridge in Isleworth.
    (Just up the road from my work) for  "Cheap as Chips" lunch...  only 1 shilling, (10 cents)
    2 eggs and chips
    They were so, so good
    The Brits excelled at that  kind of food then.
    Nothing like a fry up...
    It's still on my list of quick and easy meals
    Now days I oven bake the chips and poach the eggs.
    Bit more healthy.

    This last weekend we went away
    On our return, I noticed that there was not much food in the house
    I couldn't be bothered going to the shops

    So let's check on food available
    In the fridge were Eggs, Cheese and Spring Onions
    In the pantry, New Potatoes, Olive oil, Sriracha Hot Sauce, Salt and Pepper
    I'm sure I can do something simple with those ingredients
    Of course
    Eggs and Chips
    But new potatoes, don't exactly "Good Chips Make"!

    What about Crushed Roast Potatoes
    Crack some eggs on top
    Smother with grated cheese mixed with some spring onions
    For extra flavour a drizzle of Sriracha Hot Sauce
    I love this Hot sauce, packs a little punch and also packs
    great flavour...perfect for the topping

    For 2 people
    About 12 little gourmet potatoes
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 eggs
    About 10 grates of cheddar cheese
    2 spring onions chopped


    Bring the potatoes to the boil and cook till just fork tender
    Drain
    Meanwhile heat oven to 190C
    Put a pan in the oven till hot
    Add olive oil and potatoes being careful to cover handle
    so you don't burn your little fingers

    With a masher
    Squash down the potatoes
    Season with SP
    Back into oven for about 20 minutes
    The potatoes should be golden

    Remove
    Break eggs in a little ramekin and drop on top of potatoes

    Cover with grated cheese and chopped spring onions
    Back into oven about 6 minutes, till eggs just cooked

    Remove
    Drizzle Sriracha over the top
    Big grind of black pepper

    Serve
    Fit for a King
    Delicious

    No comments: