Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, October 17, 2007

    Forget the 3 Tenors We have the 3 MDs and Stuffed Red Peppers

    We had friends for dinner last night. It was a reunion
    All of the men have had a working relationship for 30 years.
    John employed Murray and Michael when he set up CBS Records now (Sony BMG) in New Zealand... John left and Murray became the MD... Murray left and Michael became the MD and through all of that time the advertising agent was Dale.
    In fact Dale and John have worked together since 1969 when John was running what was then known as Philips Records now Universal Music.
    Forget the 3 Tenors we have the 3 MDs.
    We had to have a shot…wives setting it up
    And here they are
    From left to right Murray. John and Michael
    So moving right along I wanted to make an antipasto, followed by Beef Stew, and Hot Fruit Compote with Hokey Pokey Ice cream (bought I’m afraid).

    The Antipasto consisted of Lidia’s Sea Bass Salad…fresh Asparagus with melted butter and delicious stuffed Red Peppers.

    When John and his wife JT started up the Living Channel here in New Zealand I was thrilled, lots of Food programmes it was my introduction to Chefs displaying all their techniques other than just looking at books...I watched and thought Ohhhh I would love to make that, so started writing them down. Then John and JT started Food TV "So Much Food So Little Time".
    Anyway my dear friend Yvonne gave me a lovely journal which became my first food diary.
    Before long it was not large enough and now I have this stack of notebooks jammed full of wonderful food and ideas.
    I love Tamasin Day Lewis and this was an idea inspired by her I copied this recipe down in July 2004 and haven’t made it since...well that is now remedied. I will be making it again. In fact I am cooking it this morning because I forgot to take photos of the finished product last night. Yum - Lunch…I might have to make some bread to go with it.
    Oh no it will have to be scones I think too late to make bread.
    Stuffed Red Peppers

    These are very strong flavours so 2 portions per person is enough

    So you need for 2 people
    1 large red pepper quartered
    1 clove garlic sliced thinly
    4 anchovy filets
    1 tomatoes seeded and chopped finely
    4 sprigs thyme
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Olive oil
    Feta cheese

    Tidy up the quartered peppers
    Add garlic anchovies, tomatoes and thyme
    Roast 180C about 30 minutes
    They need to keep their shape
    You can do this earlier in the day
    Remove from oven and place a slice of feta on each one

    Before serving pop into 180C and cook for about 10 minutes

    I normally make scones the Jo Seagar way with cream and soda water (mentioned in previous posts) none of that in my fridge AND once again the men are working in our street AND the road is closed while they finish concreting the road so I couldn’t go out.
    It’s started raining so they have stopped work of course.

    So I decided to find a new recipe.
    I found this one on allrecipes.com

    Cheddar Thyme Flaky Biscuits/Scones
    I like the idea of adding sugar to savoury muffins or scones. It gives the food such a lift
    This is a very good recipe

    Heat oven to 220C
    2 cups flour
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    3 tablespoons white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    54  gms butter or margarine 
    3/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

    Sift dry ingredients into large bowl
    Grate butter into flour
    and rub between fingers till it looks like breadcrumbs
    Or use a pastry cutter

    Make a well and add cheese thyme and milk.
    Mix quickly and you may need to add a little extra milk.
    I like the dough to be wet

    Turn out onto floured surface and pat out to about ¾ inch
    Cut into pieces
    And place on oven tray I like to line my rays with baking paper.

    Cook 10 minutes
    So here is lunch

    Now to a more pressing matter.
    I am going to bury my cake in the waste disposal
    Very sad I have got attached to it but I guess it needs to go before the ants attack.
    I kept it to show to the guests as I had to postpone the dinner as the date I organised was the Final Lesson Course 1.
    A final shot of the flowers Sorry…
    RIP Cake

    2 comments:

    Lisa Johnson said...

    Looks like a fun reunion! And the food looks delicious!

    I hope you looked at my most recent BoomerGirl post. What did you think?

    So So Simple said...

    Yes Anali
    I have looked and what a lovely surprise...very exciting to see my soup on your Boomer Girl post thank you. of course we are out brussels sprouts here now and into asparagus Spring has Sprung.
    I have left a comment, hopefully you will have seen it by now.

    Cheers