Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, November 27, 2009

    Tomato and Potato Soup - Perfect for the Summer

    We are going away tomorrow, for a few days. I want to use up any food that is in fruit bowls, fridge etc which otherwise would have to be thrown out, at a later date.

    I had quite a few tomatoes, so I decided to make one of my favorite soups. This is based on one supplied by Mrs Elizabeth David, in her French Provincial Cooking book.

    I have made a couple of small changes but it is still one of the most delicious and simple soups.
    She of course adds cream to hers, I didn't have any so we went plain.
    You can really taste the potatoes and the tomatoes quite separately, so smooth. Yum.

    I used my homemade chicken stock. 
    It is so easy to make have a look here
    I try and keep some in the freezer at all times, it is so gutsy and flavoursome, worth while doing.

    2 tbs unsalted butter
    4 med tomatoes, blanched and peeled and diced
    4 little new potatoes peeled and diced
    About 600 mls chicken stock

    Sea salt and white pepper
    1/2 tsp sugar
    Basil leaves for garnish

    Melt the butter
    Add the potatoes
    Toss around to cover them with the butter.
    A pinch of salt
    Add about 300 mls chicken stock

    Simmer till potatoes are just tender
    Add tomatoes
    Season again and add the sugar
    Add the rest of the stock

    Bring to boil and simmer for about 4-5 minutes


    Remove from heat
    Blend with hand blender
    Make sure there are still some cubes of potatoes for texture

    Rip some basil leaves over the top, and serve.

    No comments: