Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, February 08, 2011

    Spaghetti Carbonara - Dieters Dream...Not!

    Being on the boat means being frugal and working through your pantry and fridge as best as you can.
    The thing that you run out of first of course, is fresh vegetables.
    Frozen meat, prawns, canned tuna, Vacuum packed salmon and other cold cuts
    There is UHT milk and Cream in cartons. Plenty of tinned and dried food. Rice, Pasta etc
    Its easy to make bread, but one day the fresh veges go, and its time for a trip to the shop. I had eggs, cream, bacon, onions.
    I had an desire to make Spaghetti Alla Carbonara.
    First I needed to check out a recipe.
    I have lots of recipe books on the boat.

    But nowhere could I find this dish.
    Finally back to a favourite of mine
    Open House (published in 1987) by Sarah Leah Chase Co-author of the Famous Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
    She has frequently been inspirational and I don’t know why I didn’t go there first. But there ya go. Maybe it was just time to get the others out and have a quick peruse!!!


    I didn’t make it exactly like this. First not so much bacon…my better half, doesn’t eat bacon but I substituted smoked salmon for him
    Plus I was only making for 2 people. I was also lacking in Mushrooms
    Nevertheless the dish I made was delicious

    I have given you Sarah’s recipe and it’s then up to you to go… where you want to go.
    This feeds 4-6 people

    450 gms Pancetta or good quality sliced bacon
    1 medium onion peeled and cut into slivers
    250 gms fresh mushrooms sliced
    ¼ cup dry white wine
    5 eggs at room temperature
    ¾ cup cream
    ¾ cup coarsely grated Parmesan
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    450 gms spaghetti
    ½ cup chopped fresh parsley

    Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat
    Remove and drain on paper towels and when cool crumble

    Add onion to reserved fat and sauté till soft about 7 minutes
    Add mushrooms and wine and cook for 5 minutes

    Heat a large pan of well salted water to boiling, to cook the pasta

    Whisk the eggs and cream together until well blended
    Stir in Parmesan and season with S & P

    Cook the pasta to the manufacturer’s instruction, but still firm to the bite.
    Drain and add back to the still warm pot
    Add egg mixture, mushroom and onions
    Toss thoroughly

    Add parsley

    Top with bacon and in this case smoked salmon

    Serve at once with some extra grated Parmesan, over the top if you wish

    No comments: