Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, February 20, 2011

    Tasty and Easy Appetizer- Cheese and Ham Pinwheels

    Look at these, if that doesn't make your mouth water, nothing will.

    Our Mia has turned 9. Where did that time go?



    So Mia's other Grandma had Family dinner to celebrate this occasion.
    Karen made Fab little cup cakes. Chocolate Mint...Yum

    Karen asked me to provide some nibbles to help soak up our wine.
    I wanted to make something different.
    Did a little bit of research, One of my favourite TV programmes is the Canadian "Cook Like a Chef".
    This programme takes real Chefs who demonstrate different techniques and supply some good recipes.

    I really fancied these little Pinwheels supplied by Michael Bonacini
    I mean when you are having a couple... there is nothing like little savouries.
    The aroma drags you in... I defy you to turn these down
    I have adjusted the recipe, to use ingredients I could get at the supermarket.
    And it was very good
    So actually I now "Own this recipe" to quote Simon Cowell

    1 packet puff pastry


    200 gms soft goat cheese
    2 tablespoons thyme leaves
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Dijon mustard
    100 gms thinly sliced ham
    Or 100 gms smoked salmon
    1 egg beaten with a little water

    Mix soft cheese with thyme leaves and season with pepper
    Roll out pastry into 2 rectangles
    Spread mustard over one of the rectangles leaving a 1 inch border
    Cover that with the cheese mix
    Brush the border with egg wash
    Layer ham over the top
    I used smoked salmon for the second one

    Roll it up to the egg wash border keep it tight.
    Wrap in Gladwrap, tightly and into the fridge for at least 1 hour
    Or you can do this in advance up to 24 hours.
    Just before you want to eat them
    Pre Heat Oven to 200C
    Remove from fridge
    Unwrap and brush with egg wash to glaze
    Slice into little pinwheels

    Brush again with the egg wash
    Into oven for about 15 minutes
    Till golden brown
    They only lasted for about 10 minutes.

    No comments: