Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, August 03, 2009

    Terry Thompson's New Orleans Luncheon Biscuits

    We have lived in this house for 17 years and in all this time, I have coped with the little freezer on top of my fridge.

    I couldn’t get my head around walking down to the garage to get food from a freezer. Tried to think of ways that I could get one in my small kitchen, including maybe one that could sit under the bench in the courtyard.

    Two weeks ago I realized how stupid that was, went to take advantage of the specials at Harvey Normans and now we are the proud owner of an upright freezer. (Which sits in the Garage), I have gone mad. Made soups and stocks and stocked up with staples.

    So today I grabbed some pea soup from the freezer, had left it too late t make bread. So I consulted Terry Thompson’s Cajun Creole Cook Book (a Bible of Mine).

    How about New Orleans Luncheon Biscuits

    Sounded great. Not a diet item, in case you wondered.
    Terry used Lard, I only had butter, so I went for that.
    It follows the techniques of making puff pastry, which gives it a very flaky biscuit with lots of layers. Don’t panic, it’s very simple.

    3 cups flour
    2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup butter + 1 tablespoon
    1 to 1 1/4 cups of milk
    3/4 fresh lemon juice



    Pre heat oven to 205C

    Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
    In a medium bowl add
    Flour,baking powder and salt mix with a fork.

    Cut butter into small cubes and add to flour mixture
    Using your finger tips work the butter into the flour till it resembles coarse cornmeal.
    Add lemon juice to 1 cup of the milk
    Gently stir into the mixture just until all the flour is moist and the dough slightly sticky

    If you need extra milk add I tablespoon at a time.
    Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface.
    Pat out dough in a circle about 8 inches
    Flour surface of dough
    Rollout to 1/2 inch thick rectangle

    Fold pastry in half
    Line up corners
    With open sides to the right
    Flour surface again
    Brush off excess.
    Roll out again to 1/2 inch
    Fold as before for a total of 4 times
    Make sure there is enough flour so the dough doesn’t stick.

    Into hot oven 10-12 minutes

    Serve hot, with yet more butter (optional but pretty good).

    Terry suggested you use a 1 1.2 inch cutter. I misjudged and used a bigger one.
    That resulted with not as many biscuits but other than late they were just fine.

    They are delicious.

    By the way I froze some for a later date.

    No comments: