Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, September 03, 2010

    Fish Boulettes or Balls to You!

    I have been watching Peta Mathias on TV romping around Morocco. It looks so exciting, on my Bucket List and of course the food. Need I say more!

    One of the recipes I was particularly taken with was this one for Sardine Boulettes
    Of course we can't get fresh Sardines here so I used Lemon Fish.
    This is perfect for any of this type of fish cooking. Moist meaty Shark Fish.
    The recipe suggests just poaching the balls in the sauce, but I thought they would probably benefit from a light browning to intensify the flavour. I really liked that
    She of course, was using a Tagine. I don't have one but I have a wide pan with a lid and that worked well. 
    I served the stew with cous cous.
    Flat bread would be good as well


    500 gms white fish
    1 teaspoon Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1/4 cup chopped coriander
    Small onion finely chopped
    1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs or cooked rice
    4 tablespoons lemon juice

    Method
    Cube fish and put into food processor
    Add other ingredients and pulse
    Don’t overdo it.

    With wet hands form small balls and brown quickly in a little olive oil in a pan remove and set aside


    For the Sauce
    1 small onion diced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    500 gms ripe tomatoes chopped (or 1 can)
    1 capsicum diced
    1/2 cup celery leaves
    2 tablespoon chopped parsley
    2 cloves garlic chopped
    Sea Salt and freshly ground black freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon paprika
    4 pinches Saffron (soaked in 1 cup boiling water for half and hour)

    In a large saucepan or Tagine
    Sauté onions in olive oil until golden
    Add all the other ingredients including saffron and its water

    Simmer for about half and hour till everything is soft
    Add fish balls, cover and poach for about 10 minutes.

    Serve with olive and lemon wedges.
    A few coriander leaves for extra colour
    Fabulous.

    No comments: